Workflow management system (WMS) is a type of software designed to help business management take control of routine operational activities and processes with an aim of enhancing management efficiency. In so doing, the system serves as an infrastructure for efficient set-up, performance as well as enhanced monitoring of a sequence of defined tasks organized as a workflow application. WMS is particularly important in the course of workflow execution for the purposes of coordinating operations of individual components that constitute the workflow. Business management requires WMS to overcome the challenge of managing incompatible data formats that are often produced or consumed by various services, which would otherwise have required considerable expertise in computer science. With WMS, business managers do not necessarily have to be specialized in computer science. It provides an easy-to-use method of task specification. It is also a great relief from technical details involved in the process of workflow execution. However, your business needs may not be completely solved by a single WMS. Just as every business is unique, so are the processes and its workflows. The following are features of an efficient workflow management system to meet your business needs:
Features of an efficient Workflow Management System
- Precision in graphical modeling- Graphical modeling provides an instant visual interpretation of the components of a particular system. The graphical model should clearly depict the steps involved in the workflow, processes in every step and the results expected from those processes. Additionally, it should also show the resources available and the roles assigned to the staff and their various departments. It should also reflect the expected outcomes and outputs of all the processes involved.
- Flexibility in the workflow patterns- Workflow patterns should be flexible enough to allow for easy designing and modeling of workflows in multiple ways. Basically, it should clearly outline or define the processes without putting constraints on them.
- Access and Control should be based on the Participants’ responsibilities- Workflow management system should be transparent for access by relevant persons or members of staff. However, it should not allow for access by persons who are not involved in its specific phases. People’s access to the system should only be limited to the phases in which they are involved and not the entire workflow system.
- Automated or easy-to-interpret task status- It should involve features such as automatic emails or alerts to show the status, the next person to give the input in the sequence or an indication of where every participant is in the workflow. This helps to save time, phone calls, and facilitates easy planning for effective execution of the steps in the workflow.
- Convenient cloud hosting- Cloud hosting offers a number of benefits to businesses. With cloud hosting solutions, you don’t necessarily require software for on-site management of work. It offers an opportunity for employees to work from different locations using different devices. It is also convenient for team members who operate through telecommunication, or who are located in a different location, away from the immediate business location.
Workflow management system is a great way of achieving automation in your business by clearly defining and gaining full control of all the business activities involved in your business process. Having a system that allows for measurement and clear depiction of how business processes are disseminated allows team members to strive for continuous improvement. Considering the above discussed features of an efficient workflow management system facilitates easy achievement of business goals and objectives.